Friday, January 17, 2014

Welcome to my house!

Welcome to my new blog! I just bought my first house and it needs a lot of work, fortunately I think it's fun to work on houses so I'm looking forward to it. I suppose if you ask me again in a year or two I might not like working on houses any more, but for now I'm looking forward to it.

The house was built in 1955 and in the mid-century modern style (MCM). There are a huge variety of MCM homes out there and a wide variety of qualities. I'd say mine was a contractor quality build, so not the highest quality materials for the interior trim, but they did a good job with the core elements like the brick masonry and the overall design.

With that, let me take you on a tour of the house:

Here's view from the street:

and here's the front of the house:
Let's go inside! There's no furniture in the living room because I just shampooed the carpet and it's drying.

Here's the living room and the ex-carport you can access through the hole in the wall:

There's a smallish room at the back of the carport that was originally a little workshop:
If we head back to the living room we can walk around the hearth in the center of the house and see the dining room and kitchen:

You can walk through a hallway between  the kitchen and the dining and head back to the entry way. If you turn left you can go down the hall to the bedrooms


Here are photos of the upstairs bathroom and the master bedroom:

Our favorite room upstairs is probably the princess room, how many bedrooms have chandaliers, simulated wrought iron AND a built in desk with tool peg board. They just don't make them that way any more. 



There's a third room upstairs but it's my room mates so I haven't included photos for now.

We can then go downstairs:
there's a weird landing room down there and a large family room:

The family room wall has some extra ventilation to make sure it's always the same temperature as the hallway:
There's a nice, dark hallway with a bathroom and a downstairs bedroom.


There's a wonderful room in which to do your laundry. Isn't it lovely!!!

There's also a back yard

and in that back yard is the Big Friendly Garage!
With plenty of space for my toys :)

So, there you go. That's my house. I hope you've enjoyed the tour :) From here on out my posts will be more project-specific.




4 comments:

  1. Sweet!! It looks really big! Can't wait to see what you do with the place. I love your big back yard!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) There's definitely going to be a lot of work landscaping in the spring!

      Delete
  2. Congrats Eric! I look forward to watching your progress and hopefully I'll get a chance to come and see it in person one day. We're hoping to visit Utah on route to Idaho this summer... maybe then! - Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait, I'll try to save a project for you to help with ;)

      Delete